Saturday, August 27, 2011

Favorite Photos & Nurseries

The last few days have been blazing hot (for Laguna) so I've spent afternoons in the shade reviewing my collection of succulent photos. Why do I have a collection of succulent photos? When I first started making succulent arrangements, I couldn't get enough of succulents. In containers or in the ground, it didn't matter. Friends kept giving me tips on places where they'd found great ones. When time allowed I'd stick my camera in my purse and head out. The photos in this post are some of  my favorites. They still inspire me.


My all-time best-loved photo is this shot of a vintage truck with agave. I took it at Island View Nursery in Carpenteria. Two of my favorite things - succulents & rust. This is a must see nursery not only for its unique outdoor artifacts & plants but also for the greenhouses full of tropicals & asian antiques. Total happiness is a visit there.


Along the paths leading to the main buildings are succulent gardens. There's nothing like succulents & rocks.


Except maybe succulents & dinosaurs. This metal sculpture is one of several surprises on the grounds.


The spikiness of agaves & palms is accentuated by the graceful curves of Mexican sage flower stalks.


Inside is wonderland. I dare you to come out of this building empty handed. I won't bore you with all the photos I took, I'll just tease you with the last one below.



The first time I visited Island View Nursery was with friends who were overnighting in Carpenteria. I drove down from Buellton where I was living at the time & we went nursery hopping. Later I visited again with my daughter. The third time I remembered to bring my camera. This photo is the transition from one green house to another.


Months later & further down the coast I visited Cedros Street in Solano Beach. This planted truck, about 3-4 feet long, may have been my inspiration for planting vintage toy trucks. It's on the grounds of Cedros Nursery, a plant candy store. This part of San Diego county brims with quality succulent nurseries & stores. I've found varieties that I couldn't find anywhere else. Plus the shopping is FUN.



A block from the nursery is Chickweed, an outdoor boutique run by 3 ladies who pot plants. They've sourced a potter who supplies them with handmade ceramics. The ladies do the planting. Oh, to be able to make pots again! They're gifted designers & their combinations continue to inspire me.



Three more handmade pots with imaginative plantings.


A little further along Cedros is a pottey whose name I don't remember. Succulents look great with their glaze colors. Many of their pots are featured in Debra Lee Baldwin's book, Succulent Container Gardens. Debra's book is my bible.



These succulents grow at The Camp in Costa Mesa, another cool shopping location. The grounds & store fronts are planted with succulents & other low-water plants, like this combination. I'm impressed with the large rock ground cover around the plants.


Love these blues yellow & greens against the red wood.



In Newport Beach is Roger's Gardens where they've planted the parking lot with succulents as well as parts of the grounds inside the nursery. Walking the parking lot is almost as good as walking the grounds, if you're a succophile like me.


This foursome is planted in the middle lower level of Roger's Garden. This area gets morning sun and afternoon shade 3/4 of the year. The big agaves and aloes grow like show specimens. Inspired landscape design.


White rocks, blue & green succulents on a shady hillside.


Closer to home is Dana Point Nursery, the succulent motherlode.

The woman who creates the succulent arrangements has worked for the nursery for over 20 years. She is a legend, fast & very very good. This 3 foot wide hanging moss basket is the best composition I've ever seen. It sold. Damn. I'm still inspired whenever I pull up this photo.

Hope you enjoyed the tour.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the nice comment about my book! Great post. It's fun to see what you found and to compare notes. I discovered the Dana Point Nursery about six months ago, and now stop by whenever I'm in the area (I live in Escondido). The Solana Beach pottery place is likely Courtyard Pottery.

    Next time you're in Carpenteria, be sure to go to Seaside Gardens not far from Island View. Their staff designer, Sam Maybery, does a lot of cool things with succulents. And in downtown Carpenteria, Eye of the Day (arguably the oddest name anyone could give a pottery shop), has an amazing inventory from all over the world.

    ReplyDelete